There is an Indian restaurant here in Dubai called Little Hut that my family and I frequently go to whenever we crave for some good sizzlers. I always look forward to the smoke, the exciting sizzling sound, and the aroma that comes off the hot griddle while the staff brings it out from the kitchen and onto our table.
I tried to recreate a sizzling dish at home. This is my last recipe-post that was prepared in my old kitchen. It was a success: the food was delicious and the sizzling effects made me very happy. Once you learn how to create a sizzling dish, there are endless ways to experiment. You can make beef and mushroom, vegetable fajitas, cheesy pasta, kababs, chicken risotto, or chicken manchurian — all hot and sizzling!
Marinate and fry the chicken:
Marinate the chicken pieces in freshly-ground black pepper, red chili flakes, soy sauce, vinegar, and salt.
Prepare the batter by mixing egg, all purpose-flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and black pepper powder.
Dip all chicken pieces in the batter, mix well, and fry on low-medium heat for about 5 minutes or till done. Remove and keep aside. Make the sauce with bell peppers and cook the chicken in it (detailed recipe below).
Boil the egg noodles as per packet instructions:
Cook the vegetables:
Prepare and preheat the griddle:
- 250 grams boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp freshly-gound black pepper
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 pinch baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 250 grams egg noodles
- 1 green/spring onion, chopped (separate white from green)
- 4 tbsp garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 capsicum, diced
- mushrooms, chopped (as much as you like)
- carrots, grated (as much as you like)
- baby corn, chopped (as much as you like)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Marinate the chicken in vinegar, soy sauce, salt (optional), red chili flakes, and pepper. Keep aside for at least 30 minutes (but preferably longer).
- Mix all ingredients of the batter in a bowl.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces into the bowl and mix well.
- Heat oil.
- Fry chicken pieces for about 5 minutes or until done. Remove from oil and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Add white part of the green onion and garlic. Fry until garlic is light brown and fragrant.
- Add ½ of the capsicum and fry for 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce, tomato ketchup and hot sauce.
- Add cornstarch dissolved in chicken broth or water. Cook for 2 minutes (or until thick)
- Add the fried chicken pieces and stir to coat well.
- Adjust seasoning. Set aside.
- Boil water with ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp oil.
- Add noodles to boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes (or check packet for cooking instructions).
- Remove from heat before they get overcooked (noodles should have a little bite).
- Strain and leave noodles in a colander with a tsp of oil (to avoid noodles sticking).
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Fry garlic until light brown and fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, corn, and remaining capsicum. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, tomato ketchup, hot sauce, vinegar, and black pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked noodles. Stir gently.
- Check seasoning and add salt accordingly.
- Sprinkle leaves of the spring onion.
- Remove cast iron griddle from its wooden base.
- Rub oil generously on both sides of the cast iron griddle.
- Preheat griddle by keeping it directly on the stovetop on high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Mix 4 tbsp oil and 4 tbsp vinegar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Reheat chicken, if necessary.
- Reduce heat to low (the stove on which the griddle is on).
- Arrange a bed of noodles, covering the base of the griddle. Top with chicken pieces.
- Carefully place the hot griddle back on its wooden base.
- Spoon a tsp of the oil and vinegar miix on the cast iron griddle (for the sizzling effect).
- Serve immediately.