1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
a can of pineapple slices in juice, drained (reserve juice)
a few pieces of maraschino cherries without stems
a box of your favorite super moist yellow cake mix (this makes life super easy)
Vegetable oil and eggs (called for on cake mix box)
- Heat oven to 176°C (350°F)
- Put butter in the pan (the one you are going to use to bake the cake) and put inside the oven for a few minutes, or until the butter has completely melted.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter.
- Arrange pineapple slices on brown sugar. Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice, and press gently into brown sugar.
- Make cake batter as directed on box, substituting pineapple juice for the water. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).
- Run a knife around side of pan to loosen cake.
- Wait for about 10-15 minutes until the cake cools down a bit, and then put a plate upside down onto pan; turn plate and pan over. If you do not wait for the cake to cool down, the pineapples will stick to the pan.
- Serve warm or cool.
5 out of 5 stars!
PS: I didn’t rate the cake myself. The 5 stars came from Masood, my mom-in-law and brother-in-law. I offered a little piece to two of my colleagues (because that was all that’s left of the cake), and they really liked it!
Warning: Your house will smell sweet for at least 12 hours.